Saturday, June 30

One step back, two steps forward

Learned something new and different this last week...GS style of kettlebells. I liked it. Then I dug up some more information on the subject and kinda got lost in something that was not that important to me anyways.
However I did learn something about myself in this waste of mental energy, that is - I swing kettlebells because I like to, I do it for fitness and what I've learned so far is pretty darn valuable to me.
I started with Ron Morris at USA Kettlebells in Minneapolis and one day I told my step-sister that "I'm too busy to practice at home" I work, I have a kid, time is precious. Ron may have heard me "whine".
He started the class and said "everyone grab their kettlebells and give me 100 swings". Without hesitation we all grabbed our kettlebells and did 100 swings without putting the kettlebell down...(back then that was big for us.)
He walked past and said OK, that's your workout today you can go home. It took us about 2-3 minutes to perform these 100 swings.
I was shocked. I come all this way for a 2 minute workout?
His point...you can get a workout in a very short time with kettlebells and don't make excuses for not creating the time! You make time for the things that make you better. Don't waste your valuable time on things that can break you down.
I keep learning it over and over again.
The politics of kettlebells is something for other people. I like what I do and if there is something new and exciting let me know, I'll give it a shot.
The GS style... its very good for some things, I like the timed sets, I do like the one-handed swing style, I will prbably get a pro series bell or 2, but what got me here was the RKC program and all of its possibilities. Which by the way, never cease to amaze me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a "Question-comment" - I'm 65 years old and it takes me 20 minutes of continuous movement to get through 200 snatches. I've been at it for over a year, Do you think I should keep at it or head for lawn bowling or something comparably sedate? Richard in San Antonio

Tom, Healy, RKC said...

old gringo

Reps are not that important! How is your form as you go. Does it start out good and then fall off?
Try a lighter kettlebell and work up to 10 minutes, keep a nice easy pace to your snatches.
You should feel good after this exercise!

Anonymous said...

Thanks TexasTom: I'll apply that advice. I also work swings and long cycle fascimiles and have discovered the stop watch. Also, an extraneous point - I have pretty good arthritis from once breaking c5 and c6 and I can state beyond the shadow of a doubt that 20 minutes of kettlebell gyrations are a superb non steroidal anti inflamatory.