Friday, July 20

Just going in for some Yoga?

These last few weeks we have been mixing some Yoga exercises at the end of our kettlebell workouts...Thanks to a couple of women in our group who have a great deal of experience in this area.
It has been a very good addition, its opened up some glaring weaknesses in some people. Myself included. What we have been stressing is building up our "ab strength". The kettlebell exercises are tremendous for this very same purpose, but it seems these yoga and palates exercises have added a new dimension to our workouts. Our kettlebell techniques have improved and I feel "whole" when I'm is done. It seems to even out my body after a workout.

So I walked into a local Yoga center expecting to have a good workout/stretch. I was a bit surprised when she said she would have to do a strength assessment first. I feel that I'm in pretty good shape so no worries here. She asked a few questions, poked my body in different places, made me stand on one leg with my eyes closed and made some sounds while she did this. I thought she was saying I was in good shape.

She asked my age then wrote some things down. I was told to sit and we proceeded to discuss my condition. First off, I sensed that she knew what she was doing, and it seemed she was looking for more than just muscle tone and coordination. She told me that my body on the outside looks very young for my age BUT your are "very old on the inside" of your body.

There is more to fitness than what people can see she continued, the body must be free of toxins, stress and anything that might interfere with the gathering, the storing and the use of energy the body needs to live, to breath and... to lift kettlebells.

A little more than I expected. I was not looking for this kind of experience but you need to take life as it comes. I won't go much further into this but I will tell you one thing that was really cool. There is a concept to energy in your body, its shaped like a pyramid. The base is a pyramid is near the base of you "Core" and the top of the pyramid is at your head. At least this how it is with healthy people.

She told me that my pyramid was upside down and I should do things now to correct this. She is a sales person, but she new things about me that she could not possibly know. I found out this Yoga center has its foundation in holistic health and involves many aspects of mind and body training....

What is the point of this blog today...That Kettlebell training is not just a physical exercise. It is a test of your mental spirit as well! How many times do you have the kettlebell swinging and say to yourself, "I just have a few more reps to do...yes - I can make it". Physical strength alone will not give you those last few reps! Kettlbell training is for the body AND the mind!

No comments: