Monday, July 23

Spare the Hands Workout

The ripped calluses need time to heal. I could take a couple days off, but I would miss the workouts. So...What can you do with kettlebells that won't aggrevate the hands....plenty!
Here it is for today:


Warm Up
Stretching - Swings
5 Minutes

24Kg Jerk Set (Only pairs I have)
2 1/2 minute sets x 2
6 rpm
Working my way up to 5 minutes straight, then 10 minutes.
Start with what you know you can do...right?

28Kg 2 Handed Swings
25 x 5

Bent Rows
28 x 10 x 2
24 x 10 x 2
20 x 10 x 2
16 x 10 x 2
I felt the lats fire better as the weight got lighter

2 Kettlebell Push Ups
15 x 2

Plank Variations till I was shaking
Stretch/Cool Down

Total Time 40 Minutes

Nice workout considering I had to stay away from anything that aggravated my hands. Working on better form on the snatch to correct this callus thing....Its on the way down that digs into my hands....

5 comments:

charley allen said...

Tom,

Hope you get your 16s soon. Funny thing about working with light weight for time is that I am getting stronger without anything beyond "assistance" exercises with the heavier stuff. I am going to diligently stick with the 16kg until I get to 10 minutes and see where that puts me with the 24kg.

I looked at your snatch in detail on Saturday and I think I can help you with the hand issue. My idea is a combination of something I picked up at the AKC and a "Jay Drill."

charley allen said...

Tom, one more thing.

Check out this guy's blog:

http://allornone.trainingsyndicate.com/

Pretty intense stuff, and he is a big Art of Strength fan.

He is the other fellow who lifts in Houston. I think he went to one of Jay's and David's workshops in December.

Tom, Healy, RKC said...

Charley,

We should get with them and get a taste of their workouts...

Anonymous said...

Tom,

A taste of what they do in the summer would probably make me throw up.

Tom, Healy, RKC said...

Charley,

I just went to the site and saw a huge tire...what, do they throw that thing around?