Monday, August 31

Downsizing my efforts..

I try to make it through all my workouts. Sometimes you just don't have the energy but you still need to finish - if you can finish with good technique!

I failed a WOD a while back and I asked myself "Was it too hard, did you just quit, Are you weak?" You know all the things that go through your mind trying to come to grips with a lackluster effort.

I realized that I'm not in the shape I thought I was. Pure and simple! So why do workouts that are too hard or use too heavy of a bell? Cause I'm stubborn and I think if I keep using heavier bells I will get stronger. Actually you don't, you end up tearing up your hands and potentially other body parts.

For example the snatch. Should I keep pounding away at the 24 Kg until I get good at it? Or should I drop a size and master that? I say drop a size and work your way up in reps and time until you are ready for the 24 Kg.

Don't get me wrong, still use the 24 kg for snatches, just don't kill yourself with them. Your flaws will reveal themselves when you are on your 4th or 5th minute of snatches - this is where you need to identify and correct them. Are you dropping the bell too fast? Do you initiate the drop with your hips? Do you catch the bell with your hips? Are your jerking the bell on the upswing? Lots & lots of potential errors will pop up when you get tired.

A lighter bell is easier to manage when trying to correct yourself.

So what I'm doing is downsizing some of my workouts or scaling them back to my present fitness level and will increase them as I get stronger...

Today's Effort -

Warm Up

20 Snatches L
25 Two Hand Power Swings (Heavier Bell - Higher Swing)
20 Snatches R
25 Two Hand Swings

Ring Work
15 Knees to Elbows
3 Static Hangs

Repeat 2 to 3 times

No comments: